On March 25, 1961, 31 Porsche owners and P.C.A. members gathered at McSorley’s Restaurant in Pittsburgh’s North Hills for a very special Porsche related reason.
The gathering was organized by a relatively recent Pittsburgh resident… Shepperson Prescott Adkins. A South African native, Shep had become interested in automobiles at an early age, having seen the Type C 16 Cylinder Auto Union car race at the South African Grand Prix in Cape Town in 1936. He came to the U.S. in the mid-fifties and after settling in the Boston area, formed the Northeast Region of PCA. A move to Akron, Ohio, in 1959, and sure enough, an Akron Region of PCA was born.
The intent of the meeting at McSorley’s had a by then familiar ring, “Let’s start a PCA region!”. The result – Allegheny Region was chartered on April 29, 1961. It certainly was time for there to be a PCA region in the Pittsburgh area. Pittsburgh was the geographic center of PCA membership. As a result, the quarterly National Board of Directors Meetings for PCA were held there.
Read more about the ARPCA at our region’s website.